Wainwright supports the Province of Alberta’s commitment to reduce solid waste disposal. In order to achieve this goal, residents must actively participate in reducing, reusing and recycling their household wastes. This effort will also decrease the amount of waste requiring incineration thereby reducing costs for the provision of waste disposal services.
Blue Bag Recycling
The Town of Wainwright started the blue bag recycling program on Friday, May 6th, 2016 with pick-ups occurring every Friday. Wainwright must have bags out on the front curb by 7am on collection day.
|Residential Recycling||$6.00/month||January 2022|
For more information please view: Wainwright Recycling Poster
The Town of Wainwright also has a community orientated drop-off recycling program. This program allows residents the convenience of disposing their recyclables within the community. See Solid Waste Collection Map for recycling depot locations. See Recycling Brochure
Recycling Centre Guide – Wainwright Regional Waste to Energy Authority.
Paper, Cardboard, Household Batteries, Glass, Cans and Metal, Plastics, E-Waste and Electronics
Wainwright Regional Waste to Energy Authority
1201 – 4 Ave. South
Phone: (780) 842-4051
Monday to Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, Saturday 8:00 am to 4:00 pm
Paper and Cardboard
Newspapers & Magazines includes:
- Clean, dry newspapers, newsprint flyers, inserts, magazines and glossy flyers
- White and coloured paper from printers and copiers, computer paper, bond paper, carbon-less paper, index cards, manila and bleached file folders, telephone books, brown paper bags, and boxboard i.e. cereal, potato chip and soft drink boxes
- All corrugated cardboard. Make sure boxes are dry and free of all unwanted material such as food, styrofoam, packing material paper etc…tape and staples do not have to be removed
Not Accepted Paper and Cardboard
- Carbon paper, blueprint paper, food wrapping, wax paper, paper with laminate, tissue paper, paper towel, napkins, styro-foam egg cartons and fruit box liners
- Alkaline and nickel-cadium batteries (i.e. toy and flashlight) in the following sizes: AAA, AA, C, D, 9 volt and button batteries
- Wet cell batteries from cars, trucks, motorcycles, etc…
Plastics, Cans and Metals, E-Waste and Electronics
- Plastic items which are clean and rinsed with lids removed. We accept the following plastics (#1-7) including juice containers, water jugs, and vinegar jugs
- Vinyl siding
Cans and Metals
- Remove labels and wash cans thoroughly. Re-insert lid and compress open end to retain lid.
- Pop and beer cans, tin food cans, propane tanks, aluminum pie plates, license plates, cookie sheets and clean metals less than 4 feet long.
- Metal hangers and propane tanks
- Televisions, Computers (monitor, keyboard, mouse, cables and speakers), printers and printer/scanner/fax combination, and cell phones.
Not Accepted Plastics, Cans and Metals
- PVC pipe, fertilizer, pesticide, herbicide, gasoline, oil, aerosol and hazardous waste cans or containers
Only clean, clear glass is accepted. Lids must be removed
- Food, toiletries and household products
- Jars and bottles
- Plate, flat, or window glass
- Florescent tube and compact glass bulbs
Not Accepted Glass
- Wired glass, windshields, Malibu rum bottles, Corelle, Pyrex, Vision, Corningware, fiberglass, mirrors, ceramic bottles, dinner plates, coffee mugs, pottery, china.
Refundable Beverage Containers and Bottles
Container World Bottle Depot
740 – 1 Avenue
Monday – Saturday 9:00am – 5:00pm
In the province of Alberta deposits are charged when ready to drink beverages are purchased. They are returned in full when you bring back the empty container for recycling to a bottle depot. Items accepted include: plastic bottles, plastic jugs and cups, aluminum cans, polycoat containers, bag-in-a-box and pouches, glass bottles and other metal beverage cans.
Grass Clipping Pickup
- The Public Works Department will pick up grass clippings and garden wastes on your regularly scheduled garbage day from mid-May to the end of July. In August and September pick-up is every two weeks.
Spring and Fall Clean-up
- Free pick-up of yard wastes, tree limbs, clean wood, small pieces of concrete, sod, tires, and metals.
- No refrigerators, deep freezers, air conditioners, microwaves, washers, dryers, dishwashers, stoves, hot water tanks, mattresses & box springs, carpets, paint cans, wet cell batteries, construction material, furniture, automotive parts and televisions.